Knowing how to change a jigsaw blade is a helpful trick. Be it worn out or because it is bent or broken off, you need to change the jigsaw blade at regular intervals.
The blades of a jigsaw must always be adapted to the material to be processed and the task at hand. This sometimes makes it necessary to change the blade frequently.
In this article you can read in detail how to proceed correctly and professionally when changing a jigsaw blade and what you have to pay attention to.
Reasons to change the jigsaw blade
- It has worn out: if a jigsaw blade is no longer sharp, you should replace it. Otherwise, it is very tedious for everyone involved (i.e. yourself and the jigsaw) if the blade is only tortured very slowly through the workpiece. It can also cause burns on the cut edge of wood.
- It has broken off or bent: In both cases, sawing is no longer possible and changing is necessary. If the blade is only broken off on the underside and not too much, you may still be able to saw with it, but I would never do that.
- The material changes: If the material to be sawn changes (wood to metal or vice versa), it is necessary to change the jigsaw blade. Even if it were convenient, you won’t come through different materials on the same blade, because the tooth geometry does not or hardly allows it.
In this article I explain what you should pay attention to and how to change a jigsaw blade is usually done.
Changing the saw blade from a jigsaw: tips & tricks
- For safety reasons, first pull the plug out of the socket so that the saw does not start accidentally.
- If the jigsaw blade has broken off, you should definitely wear gloves.
- The saw blade often has to be pulled out with a little force, without gloves there are also dangers.
- Before changing the saw blade, it can also do no harm to clear the device of wood chips and other contaminants.
- No dirt should get into the plug mechanism.
- Note that not every saw blade fits into every machine. If the jigsaw and saw blade are from the same manufacturer, you do not have to worry about it.
Change the jigsaw blade based on the each jigsaw type
The blades can be attached differently depending on the brand and model of the jigsaw.
The mechanisms by which a blade is held in the saw can be different, as can the safety mechanisms and components that you have to remove beforehand:
How to change an electric jigsaw blade with quick-clamping system:
- Such a tool is equipped with a special lever that releases the file, so it is not necessary to remove the protective cover.
- Pull the lever, this will open the lock, pushing the rod forward. Insert the shank of the file into the jigsaw and release the lever.
- Use the adjusting screw to lock it in the correct position.
- If you are not sure, always read the operating instructions first.
- If you no longer have any operating instructions, you will often find information or instructions on your jigsaw type online or you can download the operating instructions from the manufacturer.
How to Change a Keyless Jigsaw Blade:
- Open the protective cover of the jigsaw.
- Turn the lever on the stem to install the file.
- Having released the lever, move the file to the clamp.
Change Electric Jigsaw Blade with Screw System:
- Remove the protection (cover).
- Using a special Allen key, loosen the screw.
- Insert the blade into the special hole with the teeth forward.
- Tighten the mount. Install protection.
- There is a holder for the key above the saw blade holder, which you remove when changing the blade and take out the old blade.
- Then insert the new sheet and tighten the screw with the Allen key.
- Usually, he should have a suitable Allen key when buying a jigsaw.
- If not, that’s usually not a problem either, because you can buy hex sets inexpensively or most of the time you have them lying around somewhere at home.
Before you replace the jigsaw blade:
An absolutely important note: Never change the jigsaw if it is still connected to the power because it can cause serious injuries.
Do the follow steps:
- Disconnect the device from the power or remove the battery
- Change saw blade
- Put the device back into operation
I cannot emphasize enough how important this is for jigsaws and electrical appliances in general: never tamper with the device when it is connected to the power or the battery.
How to Change a Jigsaw Blade Step by Step:
Before you replace the saw blade for a new one, there is no harm in reading through the operating instructions and, above all, studying the safety instructions.
Because experience shows again and again that these are specially tailored to the conditions of your jigsaw and therefore cannot be transferred to any other device.
Pay attention to your safety!
In this aspect, you should always switch off your jigsaw and pull the plug out of the socket or remove the batteries.
In this way, the risk of injury is reduced to a minimum.
It does not hurt to wait to change the jigsaw blade only after it has cooled completely after use.
It is worth waiting a few minutes because both the saw blade itself and the holder can get very hot due to the rapid movements, so you can literally burn your fingers.
To change a jigsaw blade follow this steps:
STEP 1. Remove the protecting bars from the jigsaw
The first step is to remove all protective bars, hoods and so on, which could be a hindrance when removing the saw blade.
Because only if you have free access to it, will it be child’s play to start the change process unhindered.
For reasons of safety and stability, most saw blades are fixed with a hexagon.
It is therefore necessary to carefully remove it with a special key, which is usually included with the jigsaw. Only then can the saw blade be slowly removed with two fingers.
STEP 2. Insert the new saw blade
Now it is time to reinsert the new saw blade.
Prepare in advance one that is best suited for the next upcoming sawing project.
Make absolutely sure that the leaflet is facing forward and that it is being used in the right place from where you previously removed the old sheet.
Insert the new saw blade as far as possible, straight and precise into the jigsaw.
If you have the feeling that it is firmly fixed, pull on it with very little effort and in this way check whether the leaflet is actually firm enough.
If this is not the case, it can easily come loose during the next sawing process. In the worst case, it is even possible that it will be thrown out at a fast pace and there is therefore a considerable risk of injury.
STEP 3. Screw the Hexagon
As soon as the new jigsaw blade is firmly anchored in place and the teeth point in the right direction, namely towards the front,you have already done everything right up to this point.
Now all you have to do is insert the hexagon, which you removed and set aside when you removed the old sheet, and screw it tight.
STEP 4. Switch on the jigsaw
As soon as this screw is also firmly fixed (but not so tight that you cannot remove it the next time you change the jigsaw blade!).
All locking bolts and protective devices must be returned to their original position.
By carefully pulling you can feel exactly where one or the other part may need to be readjusted.
If everything is “correct”, you only have to switch on the device if you want to continue working with it.
After you have plugged the power plug back in, all you have to do is press the power button and “start”.
All in all, it is not too difficult to change a jigsaw blade. If you are inexperienced with this activity, you should read this manual carefully.
In addition, it certainly doesn’t hurt to look over the shoulder of an experienced specialist as to how to proceed when replacing the saw blade.
In particular, when it comes to handling or working with a jigsaw, you should leave nothing to chance for your own safety.It is better to work with caution than to be too “carefree”.
As you know, practice makes perfect, and with a few exercises in between, the next saw blade change will go smoothly.
How to Change a JIGSAW BLADE Without A Quick Clamp
There is a screw instead of the lever. In the worst case, a slotted screw where you will slip off easily.
You have to loosen these in order to be able to pull out the jigsaw blade. Insert the new one and tighten the screw again.
The main disadvantage of this method is that you need a lot more time. But there are other disadvantages:
- Due to the selective load and a screw that may be too tight, the saw blade may break on the holder during operation.
This has happened to us before. It sounds worse than it is, there is usually no danger, the sheet is simply thrown out.
However, you will need a new one afterwards.
In addition, the stability with a quick clamping device is better, since we connect the saw blade here with a form fit.
In the simplest case, the screw connection only has a friction connection
How to change the saw blade on the jigsaw:
Normally, the change works in two ways, which I would also like to demonstrate with examples below: Either with Allen keys or without tools
How to Change a Bosch Jigsaw Blade
Bosch has a tool-free change for many models.
Using the example of the PST 900 PEL from Bosch, I show that there is another way:
With this model, you can change your saw blades in just a few seconds and without additional tools:
- Simply flip the red switch in the direction of the arrow
- Remove the saw blade and insert a new one.
In my experience, this tool-free saw blade change is becoming modern with more and more models and I expect that it will eventually replace the conventional change.
The advantage certainly lies in a very quick and efficient change of the jigsaw blade, the disadvantage is that if the mechanism breaks down, the jigsaw must in all likelihood be professionally repaired.
In the system with the Allen screw, you could at least replace the screw if it is lost.
How to change the blade on a Makita jigsaw
Makita jigsaws are among the most efficient on the market, especially the new models like the Makita 4351FCTJ or the Makita 4329 J.
The example of the Makita 4329 jigsaw shows that not all models have implemented a tool-free saw blade change.
They are handy and very precise in cuts. Whether a pendulum or simple model, Makita jigsaws offer a power cut and a really clean cut and without burrs on wood or derivative, metal, tiles and plastic.
Changing the blade of these devices is very simple and does not require any tools. This is why many users have opted for this brand.
In just a few seconds you can change the blade of your jigsaw, and get back to work as soon as possible.
This are the steps to do to replace your blade:
- Act on the lever to loosen the blade on the front of the device.
- Remove the blade to be replaced gently.
- Place the new blade in the fixing compartment, and insert it well.
- Once this is done, you can let go of the lever and the blade assembly is finished.
When disassembling did not require any tools unlike other brand of jigsaw which still uses screw clamping.
Here is a diagram:
If you do not want to change your blade continuously, during cuts:
- Use the blades provided for the different materials.
- Remember that the yellow blades are for wood, the blue ones for metal, the orange ones for the tiling and the no specific colors for multipurpose use.
- Always start with a reduced speed, whatever the material.
- Do not push the device to go faster, cut gradually by adjusting the speed according to the material.
- Do not apply too much pressure to the device during circle or curve cutting.
These are very simple steps but which allows you to save money on the purchase of blades but also you save considerably time by getting used to this.